5.18.2009

"What if this is as good as it gets?"

This line from the great Nicholson/Hunt/Kinnear film has been stuck in my head. (I promise not to begin every blog with a quote from a television show or a movie—but sometimes they just pop in there...what are you going to do?) Jack delivers it perfectly, and whoever staged that scene was brilliant; the question is asked in the waiting room of a psychiatrist's office...and it is pretty clear that the idea that this is, in fact, as good as it gets, terrifies the occupants inside.

But what if it is? Despite all its ups and downs and twists and turns and my best efforts to make it otherwise, life is damn good. I am a lucky, lucky girl to have been afforded the experiences I have and to be able to do all the things I do (whatever they may be). While I recognize this, I am still stuck on this question. Is this it? Is there more? If it is this good now, what would it feel like to be more excitedstimulatedpassionateintenseconfidentandfree? I have an inkling that it is not possible that I've experience all the placespeopleculturessubjects in the world. I turn 24 on Wednesday, and I realize that there has to be more than this.

No comments: